Do you want to smell like Lady Gaga? Truthfully I’d be afraid it would be some funky combination of red meat, duct tape and crotch. However, that’s just me. Someone wants to smell like the Madonna clone ’cause her new fragrance is finally here and is being described as “unique and innovative.”
• The fragrance is called Lady Gaga Fame and will launch in August.
• It’s the first-ever black perfume. Once you spritz, the liquid becomes clear. A Coty spokesperson said, “The soul of fame being black was the intellectual foundation of the color of the fragrance.” Of course. They actually had to invent some new technology for this black-hearted juice.
• For all you fragrance geeks, the way the notes are expressed is unusual, too. Rather than having top, middle, and basenotes, there is a “trampoline” structure, meaning the notes come out randomly.
• It will not actually smell like blood and semen, unless those bodily fluids smell like a combo of belladonna, incense, saffron, honey, apricot nectar, crushed tiger orchid, and jasmine sambac. (Though we’ve never smelled all those things together so for all we know, it smells exactly like blood and semen. Stand by.)
• The fragrance will come in three sizes, ranging in price from $19 for a rollerball to $79 for the “Ultimate Masterpiece,” a heavy bottle (see pic above) designed by Nick Knight. The egg-shape bottle is a direct homage to her Grammy egg-hatching moment, and the top looks like a gold claw.
• Coordinating black soap, body lotion, and body wash will be released after the perfume launches.
• Steven Klein shot the campaign which will appear in the September glossies. TV spots are in the works too, as well as the de rigeur online film, also shot by Klein.
• Gaga will be making retail appearances (TBA) and is planning a launch on September 13 at the Guggenheim in NYC. A rep said, “There will be theater…she’s not the kind of person who just shows up and says hello.” [Ed. note: Please don’t forget to invite us, Coty!]
• You’ll be able to find the scent in about 30,000 doors globally.
So will you be buying Lady Gaga’s new fragrance? I’m kind of over the celebrity fragrance thing. I mean, when Justin Bieber has fragrance you know all sanity has left the building. And as I’ve already pointed out, GaGa is just not celeb I see and think, “I want to smell like her.” So what say you Curvy Beauties – will you be lining up to smell like Lady Gaga come August? Or are you like me and think, “That’s cool, but I’ll pass.”