Tasty Cabbage Soup Recipe
My mother loves cabbage. Me, not so much. I don’t hate it, but if I have the option of another vegetable I’m taking it. However, for cabbage lovers who are looking to eat their cabbage in a different way, this cabbage soup recipe is for you. It’s very simple to make and you can adjust the amount of the ingredients you use to make as much or as little as you’d like.
This recipe is also good for those of you who are doing or thinking about trying the Cabbage Soup Diet. I’m not a big fan of extremely restrictive diets, but if you have an event you’re trying to lose weight for, using one temporarily isn’t the worst thing you can do. Just remember it’s a temporary fix, not something that should be used for long-term weight loss.
Enough about dieting, the recipe itself it simple and surprisingly tasty and while it takes a while to cook, if you make enough you can have a few days worth of lunch or dinner ready to go. Don’t hold onto cabbage too long however, it isn’t a food that holds for a long time. Enjoy, and if you cook it, let me know what you think in the comments below.
[recipe title=”Spicy Cabbage Soup Recipe” servings=”4-6″ time=”2hr” difficulty=”Easy” image=”http://tsjohnsononline.com/food/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2017/03/cabbage-soup-recipe.jpeg” description=”A simple, yet tasty cabbage soup recipe great for lunch or dinner.”]
– 6 large green onions
– 2 green peppers
– 1 or 2 cans of tomatoes diced or whole
– 3 carrots
– 10 ounces of mushrooms
– 1 bunch of celery
– Half head cabbage
– 1 package of Lipton Soup
– 1 or 2 cubes of bullion optional
– 48 ounce can of V8 juice
– 12 cups water
1. Slice green onions put in a pot and start cooking.
2. Cut green pepper stem end off and cut in half, take the seeds and membrane out.
3. Cut the green pepper into bite size pieces and add to pot.
4. Clean carrots, cut into bite size pieces, and add to pot. Slice mushrooms into thick slices, add to pot
5. Take the outer leaf layers off the cabbage, cut into bite size pieces, add to pot.
6. If you would like a spicy soup, and add a small amount of curry or cayenne pepper now.
7. You can use beef or chicken bouillon cubes for seasonings. These have all the salt and flavors you will need.
8. Use about 12 cups of water, cover and put heat on low.
9. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
– Season to taste with salt, pepper, parsley, curry, garlic powder, etc.