Try These Fiberful and Fudgy Fig-Nut Brownies
Brownies never get old and believe it or not it is even possible to make them better. Moist, so simple and chewy, these Fudgy Fig-Nut Brownies are made with an abundance of dark chocolate, crispy toasted walnuts, and surprise-sweet, scrumptious figs. Taste and health have actually collaborated and combine to produce healthier brownies suitable for every day or special occasions such as Mother’s Day, 4th of July and birthdays.
Amber-colored golden figs and dark purple Mission figs star as the special secret ingredients that make these brownies so scrumptious and so special. The small, crispy seeds and sweet, chewy taste of the figs match the toasted walnuts and smooth dark chocolate. Health-conscious cooks are thrilled to find out that dark chocolate contributes health-promoting flavonol antioxidants; dried figs use a special range of vital minerals and vitamins and are a great source of dietary fiber. And walnuts provide vital omega-3 fats and “great” monounsaturated fats.
Figs are likewise fantastic for snacking since they are practical and so portable, in addition to being a nutrient-dense fruit, 3 to 4 figs offer 6 percent recommended daily value of iron, calcium, magnesium, vitamin B6 and 8 percent of copper.
[recipe title=”Fudgy Fig-Nut Brownies” servings=”16″ time=”40 min” difficulty=”Easy” image=”http://tsjohnsononline.com/food/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2017/03/fudgy-brownies.jpg” description=”Figs, chocolate and walnuts, nutrition and taste come together in one delicious brownie.
– 3 large eggs
– 11/4 cups granulated sugar
– 1/4 cup canola oil
– 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
– 1 ounce unsweetened chocolate, chopped
– 1 cup all-purpose flour
– 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
– 1/4 teaspoon salt
– 1 cup stemmed and chopped Blue Ribbon Orchard Choice or Sun-Maid Golden or Mission Figs
– 1/3 cup chopped, toasted walnuts
1. Preheat oven to 325∞.
2. Coat 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick spray.
3. In medium bowl, lightly beat eggs with wire whisk.
4. Add sugar and whisk until well-blended.
5. Whisk in oil and vanilla.
6. Melt chocolate in small bowl in microwave oven on 50 percent power for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring every minute.
7. Whisk chocolate into egg mixture.
8. In small bowl, stir together flour, cocoa and salt.
9. Stir flour mixture into chocolate mixture, blending until smooth; batter will be stiff.
10. Stir in figs and walnuts.
11. Spread batter in baking pan.
12. Bake for 35 minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out with a few crumbs attached.
13. Cool in pan on wire rack.
14. Cut into 16 brownies.
– Calories 191
– Protein 3g
– Total Fat 7g
– Carbohydrate 29g
– Cholesterol 40mg
– Dietary Fiber 2g
– Sodium 65mg