A Favorite Chinese Dish: Beef With Broccoli
When ordering Chinese takeout, Beef With Broccoli is one of my go-to dishes. Now instead of ordering it, you can make it home. It’s not a difficult recipe but may take a few tries to get just right. No worries, however, just means more beef with broccoli for you to eat. It really is the perfect dish for all occasions.
[recipe title=”Chinese Beef With Broccoli” servings=”3 to 4″ time=”90 min” difficulty=”Medium” image=”http://tsjohnsononline.com/food/wp-content/uploads/sites/15/2017/03/beef-with-broccoli-header.jpg” description=”Beef With Broccoli is a classic when it comes to chinese cooking.”]
For The Beef & Broccoli:
– 3/4 lb (375 g) lean beef, sliced thinly into bite-sized pieces
– 1 1/2 Tbsp (20 mL) oil
– 1 1/2 lb (750 g) broccoli, flowerets removed, slice on the diagonal into thin slices
– 1 cup (250 mL) cooking oil
– 2 1/2 Tbsp (30 mL) oyster sauce
– 2 Tbsp (25 mL) light soy sauce
– 3/4 Tbsp (10 mL) dark soy sauce
– 1 Tbsp (15 mL) sugar
– a few drops of sesame oil
– 2 cloves garlic, crushed
– 1/2 cup (125 mL) chicken broth
– 2 Tbsp cornstarch (if desired)
Marinade For Beef:
– 1 egg
– 1/3 tsp (1.5 mL) salt
– 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cooking wine
– 1 Tbsp (15 mL) cornstarch (corn flour)
– 2 Tbsp water
1. Slice beef and mix together marinade ingredients.
2. Add marinade to beef and marinate for thirty minutes.
3. Add 1 1/2 tablespoons of oil to beef, mix in thoroughly, and marinate beef for another thirty minutes. While beef is marinating, prepare the vegetables.
4. Heat wok and add 1 cup of oil.
5. When oil is ready, add beef and stir-fry until it is nearly cooked.
6. Remove beef and set aside on a plate. Drain the wok and wipe clean with a paper towel.
7. Add 1/2 cup water to wok. Bring the water to a boil and add the broccoli.
8. Cover and cook until broccoli is cooked through. Drain the wok.
9. Heat wok and add oil (about 2 tablespoons).
10. Add the garlic and stir-fry for about 1 minute. Add vegetables and beef and mix together.
11. Make a well in the middle of the wok and add the sauce ingredients.
12. Add cornstarch, stirring to thicken.
13. Mix sauce together with other ingredients.
14. Serve hot.